“Moissanite diamonds Vs Real diamond..”
Moissanite diamonds come from moissanite which is a mineral that was first discovered in fragments of a meteorite at Diablo Canyon or Meteor Crater in Arizona.
It was named in honor of its discoverer, Nobel Prize winner Dr. Ferdinand Henri Moissan.
Seen here cooking up a storm ….he’s actually manufacturing some diamonds!!
- Synthetic moissanite is a man made mineral which simulates diamonds very well.
- It is grown or created in a laboratory & is also known as silicon carbide.
- Moissanite diamonds are molecularly identical to the ones extracted from the earth. They take a shorter time to form though; 3 days for a 1 carat diamond.
- It has been in the market since the 90s’ as alternatives to diamond jewelery and has a royal following.
- Moissanite is actually more refractive than natural diamonds, giving it more brilliance and fire than even genuine diamonds.
- This would make moissanite wedding rings more desirable that natural ones.
- So why is moissanite manufactured? Well considering the high price of real or natural diamonds, having a cheaper option works for a lot of people.
Not quite diamond…
Alternatives to diamond rings
Blown your budget? Get alternatives to diamond rings
Is an enhanced diamond better than an one that isn’t? Is it even legal to enhance diamonds?…
- Since it only takes a couple of days to grow the diamonds, they can be sold for a much lower price than natural ones.
- Apart from the cost, the quality of the moissanite can be controlled so that you get high quality diamonds every time.
- That is a very big plus as one of the reasons natural diamonds are expensive is due to the simple fact that you can’t control nature.
You take what you are given and you have no say whatsoever in the quality of the diamonds that come out of the ground.
Due to their similarity, it is virtually impossible to tell the difference between cut synthetic diamonds and real diamond.
Both stones are thermally conductive.
However, there is a special tester manufactured by Charles & Colvard’s.
Patented Tester “Model 590” which reliably detects Silicon Carbide posing as a real diamond.
So moissanite diamonds anyone?